Meditation: Making full proof of your ministry
Scripture Reading: 2 Timothy 4:3-6
Verses Three and Four of today’s scripture tell us why we should preach the word urgently at every opportunity, correcting, rebuking and exhorting with great patience. This is because if we don’t do it early and build up the faith and doctrines of the people there will come a time when they will choose what they want to hear and believe, and will follow after teachers and preachers who preach what they want to hear. This is what it means to have itching ears. The panacea or prevention for itching ears is to preach the word, the sound doctrines of the word early, at every opportunity and correct, rebuke and exhort with great patience so that our church members know very well, understand deeply and follow boldly the right doctrines of the word. As a preacher don’t relent in exposing fake doctrines and rebuking itching ears. Don’t give them what sounds good because that is what is going on in the city but give them the sound doctrines that will make them strong in the Lord. Verse four says if we fail to teach and maintain sound doctrines and we fail to correct and rebuke, they will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths. This is already happening in the society today.
In verse five is a call to everyone, preacher, pastor, evangelist, minister or just simply a believer in Christ.
1. Watch in all things. Don’t allow your heart to be polluted by false teachings and don’t allow God’s children under your care to be polluted. Watch. Watch the trend and don’t fall into the enemy’s trap. Watch out for itching ears and don’t follow the trend to satisfy itching ears. Preach the word, Reprove, rebuke and exhort with all long-suffering and doctrine.
2. Endure afflictions. This is importance to your standing firm in the faith. Afflictions are the things that people will throw at you when you refuse to follow the trend of things outside the truth of the word of God. They will throw abuses, insults, persecutions and all manner of afflictions at you as a believer or preacher of the truth. Endure afflictions and don’t shift from the truth because of afflictions. Be steadfast and unmovable. 1 Corinthians 15:58
3. Do the work of an evangelist. This is the assignment for every believer, every preacher, every pastor, every leader. Do the work of an evangelist. Winning souls is what gives God joy the most. This is what he gave his only begotten son, Jesus Christ to die. God wants all men saved and wants all believers to do the work on an evangelist. Do this daily and at every opportunity. Tell people about Jesus, invite them to Jesus, invite them to your church and pray that as they come they will come to meet with Jesus. As a preacher , make altar calls and invite people to meet with Jesus. We must all do the work of an evangelist.
4. Make full proof of your ministry. What an instruction. New international Version of the Bible says “discharge all the duties of your ministry”. New King James Version of the Bible says “fulfill your ministry”. New Living Translation of the Bible says “fully carry out the ministry God has given you”. The Message Bible says “do a thorough job as God’s servant”. All these translations are saying that you have a responsibility to do very well what God has called you to do. Serve him well and don’t leave out any of your duties.
1. Ask the Lord to give you urgency in your heart to preach the word
2. Pray that you will not have itching ears and that members of your church will not have itching ears or be led astray into error.
3. Ask the Lord to give you a watchful and discerning eyes and heart; that as you grow in Him you will be watchful and not fall into errors or into the hands of false teachers.
4. Pray that you will be strong in the Lord to endure afflictions no matter how painful or challenging they may be.
5. Ask God to give you a heart that hungers for soul winning such that you will be urgent in doing the work of an evangelist.
6. Pray that you will fulfill your ministry and excel in the work of God in your hands and in your church.
1. I will preach the word of God and be urgent in season and out of season.
2. I refuse to have itching ears and declare that I will not follow after false doctrines and any teachings that are not according to the word of God and the apostolic foundations.
3. I will be watchful and will be strong in afflictions. As a good soldier of Christ I will endure afflictions
4. In Jesus name I will fulfill my ministry and excel in the work of God.
2 Timothy 4:5 KJV
 But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.