Meditation: Vessels unto honor
Scripture Reading: 2 Timothy 2: 19-26
Apostle Paul in the preceding verses had discussed the negative impact of the false teachings of Hymenaeus and Philetus on the church. It led to the falling away from faith of some members. He however comforts Timothy in verse nineteen of today’s study that, “The Lord knows those who are His”, meaning that those who belong to God are known by Him and they will not fall away from the faith. He however added that “Let everyone who names the name of Christ depart from iniquity”. This means that though God knows those who are his, yet it requires being separate and staying away from sin for a christian to be assured of salvation.
God has called us to be his vessels, vessels of different kinds; gold, silver, wood or clay. The quality of the vessel you are to the Lord will be defined by your attitude and quality of service and commitment to his service. As a vessel in the master’s house you could be an usher, a sanctuary keeper, a security or protocol officer, a Sunday school teacher, a house fellowship leader, a deacon, an elder, a minister or pastor, whatever function you are assigned as a vessel in God’s hands, the quality of your work and attitude will determine whether you are a vessel of gold, silver, wood or clay. I chose to be a vessel of gold. This comes with a high sense of responsibility and personal discipline. What about you? Will you choose to be a vessel of the highest quality for the Lord to use? That decision will come with your readiness for a high level of personal discipline and commitment to excellence in the service to God. I invite you to make that choice today.
The vessels in a great house have two possible ends, some for honor and some for dishonor. This is talking about the end result of the service, comportment, character and divine judgement on the vessel. Every vessel has an end result, either honor or dishonor. Hymenaeus and Philetus ended up as vessels of dishonor. They not only erred from the truth, they also caused some people to overthrow their faith. It is important that you also decide where you want to end as God’s vessel. If you choose to be a vessel unto honor, it goes with a serious price but with great rewards.
In order to be a vessel of honor, verse Twenty-one says you have to cleanse yourself from what is ignoble and unclean and separate yourself from contact with contaminating and corrupt influences. (Amplified Bible). The King James Version says you have to cleanse yourself and keep yourself from dishonorable vessels such as Hymeanaeus and Philetus. It means that separation from dishonorable vessels is an important key to becoming a honorable vessel, that is sanctified, useful to the master and prepared for every good work.
Paul further instructed that to be a vessel unto honor requires
1. To flee youthful lusts. These are youthful sinful desires such as sexual immorality,
2. To pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace. To pursue means to follow in order to catch something; it means to try to get something over a long time. You need to go after righteousness and other attributes listed with focus and dedication.
3. Avoid disputes
4. You must not quarrel but be gentle to all, be able to teach and be patient
5. In humility correcting and bringing sinners to the Lord and all those who have been taken captives by false doctrines and teachers.
1. Pray for grace to stay away from sin as you walk with God daily.
2. Pray that you will be a vessel of gold in the hands of God, that your attitude and quality of service to the Lord will be of the level of gold in the eyes of God. Ask God to purge you of anything that will make you a vessel of wood or hay or anything less than gold before Him.
3. Ask the Lord to open your eyes to see any form of dishonor, any character of dishonor or any friends of dishonor around your life. Repent of everything that brings dishonor to the name of God in your life. Purge yourself of dishonor and ask the Lord to cleanse you.
4. Proclaim yourself a vessel unto honor before the Lord today and ask for grace to flee youthful lusts, to pursue after righteousness, faith, love and peace. Ask for grace to avoid disputes, to be gentle and not quarrelsome, grace to be patient and to walk in humility towards all people including unbelievers and those who oppose you.
1. I declare that I am a vessel of gold and I shall be a vessel unto honor in the name of Jesus.
2. I will stay away from sin and from everything of dishonor. I will flee all forms of youthful lusts and pursue after righteousness, faith, love and peace in Jesus name.
3. I declare that as a vessel unto honor I will stay away from people of dishonor and all those who preach false doctrines. I will avoid disputes and quarrels but will be gentle, apt to teach and patient and by the grace of God, I will correct and bring sinners to Jesus in humility. Amen
2 Timothy 2:20,23 NKJV
 But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and silver, but also of wood and clay, some for honor and some for dishonor.  But avoid foolish and ignorant disputes, knowing that they generate strife.