Meditation: Perilous Times
Scripture Reading: 2 Timothy 3:1-9
In our study today Apostle Paul is talking about the signs of the end times. The end times refer to the period that signifies the second coming of the Lord Jesus Christ which will precede the end of the present world.
The sign of the end times in this passage is that perilous times will come. The word “perilous” is the Greek, chalepos, meaning “fierce, i.e., hard to bear, to take, to approach, troublesome etc”. Perilous times are fierce and troublesome times which the Bible foretold.
Why will the times be so perilous? We find the reasons from verse two onwards.
1. “For men shall be lovers of their own selves…” There will be increasing selfishness amongst people.
2. “Covetous” – a covetous person has great desire to possess something especially something belonging to someone else.
3. “Boasters” – a boaster is someone that promotes himself, that writes or talks about himself in a proud or self admiring way.
4. “Proud” – to be proud is to show a high or excessive opinion of yourself or of your importance.
5. “Blasphemers” – these are those who speak insultingly and without reverence about God or holy things.
6. “Disobedient to parents”
11. “Slanderers” – these speak to damage the reputation of others
12. “Without self-control”
13. “Brutal” – this means to be harsh, unfeeling, unreasonable
14. “Despisers of good”
15. “Traitors”– a traitor is a disloyal individual, someone who betrays a trust .
16. “Head-strong”– this means being difficult , heady, unyielding.
17. “Haughty”-this is someone that is arrogant and full of pride.
18. “Lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God”
19. “Having a form of godliness but denying its power” – these people appear godly but in reality are pretentious and do not know God. Some engage in creeping into households and taking gullible women captive
20. “Always learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth” – also resisting the truth
21. “men of corrupt minds” – always filled with thoughts of sin and evil; disapproved concerning the faith
These twenty-one lifestyles are representative of the lifestyle of people in the end times. Regrettably these things are all around us and this means the end of times are around us. The coming of Jesus is close by and the judgement of the world is at hand.
What should be our response to these lifestyles listed above?
Our first reaction when we see these lifestyles is to recognize that the end of time is near. Jesus is coming soon and you should be careful how you live your life.
The second reaction is that you should cleanse yourself of every sinful lifestyle in other for you to be prepared to meet Jesus when he shall suddenly come.
1 John 3:2-3 NKJV
 Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is.  And everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure.
If you have the hope of seeing Jesus then you have to purify yourself as he is pure. You cannot see Jesus unless you purify yourself daily as you wait for him.
The third reaction is to share the gospel to others so that you can bring many more people to Christ before he finally returns. This is a most important assignment from God to all his children, that of reconciling the world to himself.
2 Corinthians 5:18 NKJV
 Now all things are of God, who has reconciled us to Himself through Jesus Christ, and has given us the ministry of reconciliation,
It is of utmost importance to God that you make it a daily responsibility to tell someone about Jesus and lead him to a personal relationship with God through his son Jesus Christ.
1. Purge yourself before God today as root out any of the end time lifestyle that may be found in you. Ask that the blood of Jesus cleanse you today.
2. Ask the Lord for a heart for soul winning and the zeal to share the gospel with the people you meet daily. Ask the Lord to give you success in your soul winning from today.
3. Pray that you will daily live a life that will please God so that you will see Jesus when he comes.
1. I declare that in this last days I shall not be corrupted by the lifestyle of sin but I will be different and live my life to please God.
2. I declare that I have been reconciled to a god and have been given the ministry of reconciliation. I will therefore daily share reach out to my world to reconcile them to God.
2 Timothy 3:1 NKJV
 But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: