Meditation. Guard the truth and keep sound doctrines
Scripture Reading: 2 Timothy 1:13- 18
Every Christian must learn how to keep and hold on to sound doctrines and guard the truth that has been committed into his hands such that when he or she is confronted with false teachings and unwholesome doctrines or confronted with falsehood which is presented as the truth of the gospel: he or she would neither be confused nor deceived nor fallen from the faith.
This was Paul’s instruction to Timothy. He should hold on to the sound teachings he had been taught and guard the truth of God committed into his hands. This instruction was so important at that time because of the events that were happening, where brethren from Asia who had the privilege of been taught sound doctrines had abandoned Apostle Paul and were ashamed to identify with him in his imprisonment by the authorities in Rome for the preaching of the gospel. If a christian does not hold on to sound teachings and guard the truth jealously, such an individual is likely to be shaken at the time of trouble or persecution to abandon the sound teachings and to forsake the truth of the gospel.
It is therefore important for you to also hold on and keep the sound doctrines of God’s word that you are learning today and guard the truth of the gospel jealously because the times and seasons today are also such that many people are forsaking their pastors, spiritual leaders and mentors and abandoning the truth of the gospel so that they would not suffer for the sake of the gospel. You should decide today that you would never abandon the sound doctrines you have been taught. You should decide today that you would never give up the truth that has been committed into your hands. You should decide today that you will never be ashamed of your spiritual parents who have taught you sound doctrines and delivered the truth into your hands.
Phygelus and Hermogenes seemed to be the most prominent amongst those who forsook Paul in his imprisonment and abandoned the sound doctrines and truth that had been taught them. They left their leader to suffer without comfort and they turned their back to the teachings of Christ they had received. What a pity!
Onesiphorus was different. He and all his family. They refused to follow the crowd to abandon the sound doctrines he had been taught and stood to defend the truth that was committed into his hands. God is looking for such individuals who will train their families to hold on to the sound doctrines they have been taught, guard the truth of the gospel and be available to stand for their spiritual parents and mentors in times of difficulties.
Onesiphorus was never ashamed of Paul’s imprisonment and sufferings in the hands of the authorities for preaching the gospel. He was not afraid that he too could be arrested but was willing also to suffer for the cause of the gospel if need be. When he got to Rome (presumably from Asia) he searched everywhere for Paul. In other words he never gave up the search until he found Paul. It was not half commitment but full commitment to find a brother and show love to him.
This man is a good example of loyalty to a leader and loyalty to the brotherhood. He is a great example of how our love and care should be towards the brethren and towards our leader(s). Loyal people don’t ever abandon you when things are not going well for you, they stick to you and support you openly and secretly. They fight for you, they speak for you, they visit you in times of pains or trouble, they encourage you and are helpful to you. May the Lord help you to become a loyal member of his family in Jesus name. May He also send to you loyal people who will be there for you in Jesus name, Amen.
1. Pray for a heart of faithfulness to the Lord and that you will hold on to sound teachings and guard the truth that has been committed into your hands
2. Pray that you will not give up the sound doctrines you have been taught and that you will not abandoned the truth of the gospel no matter the challenges of life and the influences of the society
3. Pray for boldness to stand by your leaders in difficult seasons of their life
4. Ask the Lord to give you grace to be a loyal christian who will be kind, helpful, caring to all people and his leader at all times
5. Ask the Lord for grace that you will never be ashamed of the gospel of Christ and of your leaders and co believers.
1. I declare in the name of Jesus that I will hold on to sound teachings and guard the truth of the gospel jealously at all times.
2. I declare that I will be loyal to Jesus , loyal to my pastor, loyal to my brethren in the Lord and loyal to the Almighty God in all situations and circumstances in Jesus name.
3. I chose to be helpful to my leaders and to be an encouragement to them in the preaching of the gospel and in the pursuit of the kingdom of God. I will never be ashamed of Christ and of his ministers in Jesus name.
2 Timothy 1:16 NKJV
 The Lord grant mercy to the household of Onesiphorus, for he often refreshed me, and was not ashamed of my chain;